Friday, September 23, 2011

A Penny for your Thoughts?

I have been invited to be the kick-off author/speaker at a local International Baccalaureate charter school on November 1 for their NaNoWriMo program. As you know, November is the write-a-novel month.

These kids are high achiever 4th and 5th graders. My kick off speech will be limited to 20 minutes and should get the kids excited about writing a story. How would you approach this speech? What would you say to inspire, motivate and excite kids at this age?

I really DO want to hear your thoughts and I appreciate you taking a few minutes to comment, because I want to do the best job possible for these children. So, how about it? A penny for your thoughts...

2 comments:

  1. Be interactive. Have a PowerPoint or something if possible. Ask questions, toss candy to those who participate/answer. Have a give away (book or something), by placing a piece of tape beneath one of the seats prior to your speaking. Give business cards to the kids--they'll think it's cool and some might even hang onto it.

    Some of it depends on what follows your introduction talk.

    Plan (and let them know) you're going to return at the end of November to see how they did--even a video call if you/they have that capability.

    Those are just a few ideas.

    I'd send you a couple signed copies of Flank Hawk to give away, but I think it may be a little difficult of a read, even for the advanced kids--but maybe not. You can make the call on that and let me know.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Terry. I'd love to use a couple of your signed books as a prize for the kids. I willprobably introduce them in my kick-off meeting, and give them to the 4th and 5th grade writers who complete the most words in that month. What do you think?

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear your thoughts about my blog.